At St George's the children are taught phonics as a key skill for both reading and writing.
At St George's our phonics and reading scheme work hand in hand. We follow Read, Write Inc phonics and use a variety of reading books, which build on the children's phonic knowledge, using our own customised reading scheme. For more information please visit our English page.
How we teach phonics at St George's
• Daily lessons
• Taught across year group
• Begin with 26 letters of the alphabet
• Move onto digraphs (2 letters that make one sound)
• Revisit and consolidate previously taught sounds alongside learning new sounds
• Phonics for reading and writing
How you can support your child
• Support your child to develop an awareness of sounds by playing i spy
• Create and use phonics flashcards with your child
• Use Reading Eggs