Roxy the Cockerpoo lives with Mrs Accastello's family and comes to school most days. There are many potential benefits for children to have a school dog, including:
- A greater enjoyment of being in the school environment and a greater willingness to learn and participate.
- Improved attendance.
- Less fearfulness of animals and an understanding of how to interact safely with dogs.
- Improved behaviour, social interactions and sense of responsibility in the classroom.
- A better understanding of how to take responsibility for another living being, with better recognition of one's own responsibilities.
- An increased sense of calm and well being in the school environment.
- A range of individual benefits for pupils working towards personal goals including developing empathy and social and emotional skills.
- Increased confidence, enjoyment and progress when reading and writing.
We appreciate bringing a dog into school is a significant commitment which should be carefully considered, understood and thoroughly planned. The joy Roxy brings to both staff and children is wonderful to see.